- Minority students enrolled in teacher preparation programs are eligible for State of Connecticut Department of Higher Education two-year scholarships totaling $5,000 each year
  • There are also department specific scholarships that will be advertised on the website.

    Graduate Program

    How Do I Apply to a Graduate Program?

    一道本不卡免费高清We work directly with students to create a seamless process to apply to our programs. Applicants should schedule an initial meeting with a graduate coordinator. We will examine your transcripts and tell your more about the program.

    To learn more contact Dr. Villani, the graduate program coordinator.

    What Programs Do You Offer That Lead to Certification?

    We offer three programs for candidate who already hold a bachelor's degree.

    • Collaborative Early Childhood and Special Education (with certification in Birth to Kindergarten or in Nursery to Grade 3)
    • Certification in Elementary Education
    • Master of Science in Education with Elementary Certification

    What Programs Do You Offer for Certified Teachers?

    We offer a Master of Science in Education degree for teachers looking to continue their education.

    The program is designed with the working teacher in mind. Classes are offered in person, as hybrid, and online. You will work with a graduate adviser to customize a unique plan of study to meet your professional needs.

    Has the State Changed the Regulations about Master's Degrees?

    The state recently passed Public Act 12-166, Section 36(g), now codified as Connecticut General Statutes (CGS), Section 10-145b (g), which states that:

    “On or after July 1, 2016, to qualify for a professional educator certificate, a person who holds or has held a provisional educator certificate… shall hold a master’s degree in an appropriate subject matter area, as determined by the State Board of Education, related to such teacher’s certification endorsement area.”

    The State Board of Education has yet to define "master’s degree in an appropriate subject matter area," and they are offering a grandfather clause which states:

    Educators who already hold a Connecticut educator certificate PRIOR to July 1, 2016, will not be impacted by the new master’s degree requirement for that certificate, provided no lapse in certification occurs.

    What 6th Year Professional Diplomas Do You Offer?

    一道本不卡免费高清SCSU's Education Department offers teachers who have a master's degree a unique approach to completing their 6th year certificate. You can specialize as a classroom teacher specialist or an educational coach.

    • 6th Year Professional Diploma/Classroom Teacher Specialist: Do you want to specialize in a specific content area? Become an expert in the instructional shifts required by the Connecticut Core Standards? Learn emerging pedagogies in digital teaching and learning? The Classroom Specialist program allows you to customize your program. Classes are offered year-round in person and online.
    • 6th Year Professional Diploma/Educational Coach: Schools rely on educational coaches more and more each year. If you want to take on leadership roles in your school without leaving the classroom you should learn about our innovative program.

    Are the Programs Nationally Accredited?

    Yes. The National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) has recognized our university as a nationally accredited teacher preparation institution. NCATE accreditation reflects positively not just on the College of Education and the university as a whole, but on its students as well. Having teacher certification from an NCATE-accredited institution means that you have successfully completed a program recognized nationally for its highest quality standards of rigor and effectiveness.

    What is Fieldwork?

    Fieldwork is synonymous with field experience. You'll notice that many Education courses are listed with a "fieldwork component." This means that in addition to the time you spend taking that course, you will also be expected to spend a certain number of hours at a school where you will observe and eventually participate in classroom instruction.

    Students contact the school where they are interested in doing their fieldwork, and make arrangements for visitations. Different courses require different levels of participation, with the goal that as students learn more they will gradually become comfortable with leading a classroom. Fieldwork is different from student teaching, which takes place when all program requirements are completed and the student is almost ready to graduate.

    What is Matriculation?

    For an undergraduate, being matriculated means that you have applied to and been officially accepted into Southern Connecticut State University.

    For a graduate student, matriculation means that you are not only accepted into the university, and the College of Education, but that you have also completed a Planned Program Form with your adviser that has the approval and signature of the Graduate Studies office.